Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Thursday, August 20, 2026
    961
    Instagram Facebook LinkedIn TikTok
    • News
    • Lifestyle
    • Food & Drink
    • Things to do
    • Travel
    • Diaspora
    • Breaking News
    Advertise with Us Get the App
    961
    Home»News
    2 Mins Read

    Judge Wants These Three Ministers Investigated Over Beirut’s Explosion

    By Rim ZreinNovember 25, 2020Updated:July 29, 2025
    WhatsApp Copy Link Facebook LinkedIn Reddit
    Facebook WhatsApp Copy Link

    The judge leading Lebanon’s probe into the disastrous Beirut port explosion wants three members of the cabinet investigated over their possible responsibility in the tragedy, a judicial source said on Tuesday.

    The Beirut Port explosion of August 4th killed at least 200 lives and injured thousands, while dozens remain missing. Over 3 months later, all we know is that the blast was a result of 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate carelessly stored by authorities in a port warehouse since 2014.

    The New York Times

    According to Naharnet, judge Fadi Sawan asked the parliament in a letter to investigate public works and transportation minister Michel Najjar, finance minister Ghazi Wazni, and justice minister Marie-Claude Najm.

    Sawan also requested to look into the role of several former ministers who held the same positions in the previous three cabinets.

    The letter to the legislative chamber came after Sawan’s own investigations raised “certain suspicions about the responsibility of those ministers and their failure towards addressing the presence of the ammonium nitrate at the port,” the source said.

    Eye On The East

    Currently, the matter is being referred to the parliament as it is the only body considered as a specialized higher council able to prosecute ministers.

    Right after the explosion, the Lebanese government resigned, opening up new political uncertainty.

    The country has been already struggling with a crippling economic crisis and now reeling from an enormous explosion that has vacuumed half of the capital. The government has remained in a caretaker capacity as talks drag on to form a new one.

    In the past, Lebanese officials rejected an international intervention in the investigation, despite the public demands for a fair investigation.

    Reuters

    However, experts from France and the US Federal Bureau of Investigation took part in the preliminary investigation.

    So far, 25 people have been arrested as part of the ongoing probe, including top port and customs officials.

    Ammonium Nitrate Beirut Blast Probe Beirut Explosion Lebanon News
    Share. WhatsApp Facebook Copy Link LinkedIn Reddit

    For You

    Lebanon saudi arabia exports 961
    Lebanon Can Now Finally Export To Saudi Arabia Again
    Texting & Driving Lebanon 961
    This New Lebanese Page Will Now Expose You For Texting & Driving
    CMA CGM Fattal Lebanon 961
    Shipping Giant CMA CGM Just Acquired Fattal Group
    isf Lebanon 961
    ISF Just Arrested The Suspect Behind Rental Scam Targeting Displaced Families
    ban social media Lebanon 961
    There’s A New Bill In Lebanon To Ban Social Media For Those Under 14
    valet in Lebanon 961
    You Won’t Need To Pay More Than 400,000LL For Valet In Lebanon
    961 Logo
    Facebook WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    Popular Topics

    • Guides
    • Eat & Drink
    • Listicles
    • Lebanon News
    • Diaspora
    • Explained

    961

    • About
    • WhatsApp Channel
    • News WhatsApp Channel
    • Corrections Policy
    • Ownership & Funding

    Services

    • Advertise
    • Careers
    • App Waitlist
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletter
    961™ | All Rights Reserved ©2026
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.